Thursday 31 October 2013

DJ UNIIQU3 interview

Did you check that mix by UNIIQU3 for Knightwerk Records (below)? I was so impressed I wanted to find out more about Uniique and her, em, sui generis take on Jersey Club. And, you know, exact what Jersey Club IS. Uniique was kind enough to take some time out of her hectic schedule to answer the following:




I'm an alien just arrived on Earth - how would you describe "Jersey Club" to me?

Hi Alien =) Jersey Club is great. It’s some of your favorite songs beautifully remixed into music you can’t help but dance to.

Is Jersey Club more than just a sound? Would you say it's a lifestyle?

Jersey Club is way more than just a sound, it’s a feeling. When remixing you literally take a song apart and put it back together in the way you want you sound. It’s the highlight of every party in New Jersey, whether it’s the newest remix of a hot new song, an original piece, or a remix of an old school classic. The fact that you can make a living off of Dj’ing and Producing, with Jersey Club being your signature style, definitely confirms it being a lifestyle.


What is the relationship between Jersey Club and Bmore?

Jersey Club is basically an offshoot of Baltimore Club and has a tempo ranging from 130 - 140 bmp. Baltimore has more a mellow feel to it but Jersey Club is always hype. It contains more vocal chops and different concepts too.

And what do you think the connection is (if any) between JC and ballroom?


Jersey Club and Ballroom definitely share a connection. When I was a kid, they used to play Jay Karan ( Miss Jay ) all the time, and they would make numerous Jersey Club remixes of all the hottest Ballroom beats. Which also got played at the Vogue/Ballroom parties despite the separation of the two party scenes in New Jersey.

How did you get into music in the first place? What were your formative influences?

I’ve always been in love with music. I started dancing at age 5, played piano since age 7 and I used to try out for Broadway Musicals like The Lion King all throughout my childhood. Dance really influenced me because I was introduced to new sounds all the time. Classical music, Hip Hop, Rock, Tribal music and etc. It kept me very well-rounded.

And how did you get into DJing?

I got into because I was deep in the party scene in Jersey. There was nothing but male Dj’s though. So in late 2009 I decided I wanted to learn how to Dj. When I first started nobody really took me serious but I gained their respect over time.


What's been your best gig so far?

My BEST gig had to be Vermont. It was for the Young Bloodz Crew 1st Anni. The energy that I got from the crowd was so amazing and that’s what I feed off when I Dj. I literally played whatever I was feeling and made them feel the same way.

How did you get into production/remixing and what do you use?

I’ve only been producing for 2 years. I used to do vocals on a lot of Jersey Club tracks, but there were no female producers. So I decided that I’m going to learn how to produce too. I started off using Sony Acid Pro, and I still do, as well as Fl Studios and I eventually want to learn how to master Logic and Ableton.


What can we expect from Uniique in the near future?

I have a mixtape coming out in December 2013 and the release of my debut EP in early 2014! I’m also featured on numerous projects of some great producers so stay tuned!

Any words of advice to young producers on the way up?

My advice ( as corny as it may sound ) is to never give up! I don’t have enough fingers to count how many times I wanted to give up, but I didn’t. Keep grinding and never get complacent.

Follow DJ Uniique on Soundcloud and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment